November 6, 2010

Walking Crofton Parkway, A Simple Joy








I have lived in Crofton twice.  The thing I missed the most about Crofton when I left and some part of what drew me back to settle in the Crofton triangle was the walk around Crofton Parkway.
          The Parkway is an approximately 3.8 mile circle through the neighborhood around the Crofton Country Club golf course.  On any given day from just before sunup to after sundown you will find people outside walking, jogging, running or biking around the parkway.  A trip on foot around the parkway is a wonderful way to get some fresh air and exercise.  A wide sidewalk winds its way around the entire inner loop of the parkway and around most of the outer loop.  Unlike the side street walks, the width of the Parkway sidewalk is just right for walking next to another person.  I credit the existence of the wide sidewalks on the Parkway with many genuinely productive conversations between my husband and I. 
Whether you walk alone or with others, the people and pets you meet along the way are generally quite friendly and offer a smile or greeting as they pass.  I am particularly impressed by the runners who seem able to keep up their pace and still tilt their head and utter a quick acknowledgement as they zip past a slower me.  I often chuckle to myself when I make it half way around and start seeing the some of the same faces walking or running towards me for a second time. 
I myself can usually complete a walk around the parkway in just under an hour, when I push myself to walk faster I can cut it closer to 50 minutes.  Due to the steady demands of life and work I haven’t been able to find as much time as I used to for making the full walk and I do miss it.  I am not a jogger or runner at this point although I have considered trying to build up better endurance in the future.  Perhaps one day…  In the meantime I will enjoy the times I am able to steal enough time away from my family to turn on my mp3 player and make it all the way around.  


No comments:

Post a Comment